Sunday, July 20, 2008

Week 5 Project 5C

Week 5 Project 5C REFLECTION

1.Who is your classmate, what is the component category, what is the name of the choice?

Cindi Schuler read in My California the stories titled, UnCalifornia by Daniel Weintraub, Rocks in the Shape of Billy Martin by Deanne Stillman, How Many Angels by David Kipen, and Centered by Veronique de Turene

2. What is something this classmate said about the choice that relates to any of the assignments in projects 2-3?

In Cindi's project 3A, she asked a question about what draws people to locations. Cindi made me think about how we do just pass through Sacramento to get to someplace else, and we really never think about its location, like Sacramento, or what is has to offer, and how much political life pulsates throughout Sacramento. For many years, Sacramento was a place where I played Tennis Tournaments or drove through to get to Reno, Nevada, or Tahoe. When I was in eight grade, we took a fieldtrip to the State Capital, and it was then that I realized how unique and fortunate we were to have this huge impressive building in our backyard. Cindi  “felt ripped off” that the story the UnCalifornia did not give Sacramento the respect it does deserve, and I agree with what I learned from her summary and blog. I have visited both Sacramento and many of its parks, homes, and the State Capital. When she also pointed out the 99% of the people who live in Sacramento have never visited the State Capital, I was shocked. Maybe we are all a little ignorant to the treasures in our own backyard, and we need to all take a humanities class or day field trips to areas around our own homes to open the peripheral vision of our minds.

3. What is something different this classmate said about their choice that you did not realize before when you completed projects 2-3?

I was shocked to learn that 99% of the people living in Sacramento have not visited the State Capital. In project 3, Cindi said that she learned children and adults can learn something different going to a new place. I agree so much with that, and I also feel that we do not investigate what is in our own area before we make remarks about it. She also said that she had never visited the desert, and I encourage Cindi to visit the desert; it offers such a diverse and different topography than the north. She would learn so much about desert life and its beauty. I go to visit my sister in Arizona, for she went to ASU, and I have learned to respect and enjoy the vastness and beauty of the desert. I can see why many who go there do love it. I bet Cindi could find some rocks in the shape of Billy Martin. It really is worth the trip.

4. How would you relate this to Freire's ideas regarding dialogue? For example, you went in thinking one idea, your classmate had a different idea. What new idea emerged from this process?

Freire wanted to educate people from remaining illiterate, so they could make educated choices for themselves. These readings and responses from my classmates have educated me, allowing me to not remain illiterate about my surroundings, especially the rich culture and cultivated past of our ancestors that are in our own backyards. I have come to learn how hard our ancestors have worked to carve out a life in California, and how far and wide we have come to inhabit this great land. I have also learned we are all journeyers and are much more alike than different. I also have learned from reading and responding that the more we learn the more tolerant and understanding we become of others. I have a new respect for my classmates, their ancestor, their own identity, my ancestors, and my family and individual identity.

5. How has project 2-3 helped you with the readings of the textbook?

Projects 2 and 3 have guided my reading and allowed me to focus on my feelings and others about what we have learned and discovered. I have learned we all enjoy reading about our history, our roots, our ancestors, and I have learned that we enjoy the simplicity of life while welcoming others views and cultures.

 

 

No comments: