Sunday, July 13, 2008

4C Reflections Redo

Grade 4C: 2 Comment 4C: Thank you for your reflection on a classmate. However your assignment is very incomplete. For full credit follow the format I gave:

1. Who is your classmate, what is the component category, what is the name of the choice? 1pt My classmate is Ryan and in Component 3C, we both wrote about Bakersfield and Sacramento.

2. What is something similar this classmate said about the choice? 1pt We each saw similarities and focused on the fact that both are agricultural areas housing diverse cultures. I, like Ryan, also wondered why Sacramento was chosen as the State Capital. We also knew that both inland cities did not have professional baseball teams.

3. What is something different this classmate said about the choice? 1pt Ryan said that Bakersfield was a city of ranches and expensive homes. I had a different idea about Bakersfield and thought it was more of a migrant town filled with migrant workers. Ryan also talked about the large population in Sacramento, but he did not mention that it might have been due to the gold rush

4. How would you relate this to Freire's ideas regarding dialogue?

I went in thinking that Sacramento and Bakersfield offered diverse cultures; similar to Ryan, he also stated that Bakersfield had ranches, but he saw Bakersfield as having expensive homes, and I did not see this correlation at all. I felt Bakersfield was more of a migrant town, and he opened my eyes to the fact that it also housed wealthy ranch owners. Maybe, like Freire, Ryan and I saw differing populations of oppressed and oppressor. I learned it was not so much about the expensive houses in wealth terms, but I saw only the oppressed or migrant population in one area, and Ryan saw the oppressor, the wealthy, in the same area that employ the oppressed. I began to want to seek more knowledge about the school systems and how the migrant worker’s children and the wealthier ranch owners were divided or mainstreamed. Like Freire, I wanted to see how oppressed the migrant workers really are in Bakersfield, or if they were given equal opportunity education. From this process, I learned that Freire realized the oppressed and oppressor really does exist, even today, in a culture that prides itself on “No Child Left Behind.” When in fact, there is still the hierarchy of division regarding educational equality according to area, population, and money.

For example, you went in thinking one idea; your classmate had a different idea. What new idea emerged from this process? 2pts.

 

No comments: